FREE INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE (VITA)
I am certified by the IRS to provide Free income tax assistance to low income and senior citizens through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA). Low income is usually the limit of the EITC Credit. about ($49,000)
NEW for 2010
- Federal amended returns can be e-filed but not state returns
Free Electronic Filing for both New York and Federal Returns!!
Last day to file a 2011 return electronically will be Oct 14, 2012.
- New York State is NOT mailing any tax forms to individuals. Forms may be obtained from Tax Preparers or Libraries
- Federal Return asks you to report the amount of the Federal Economic Recovery Payment you received in 2009. (see below)
- If you itemized deductions on your federal return AND received a NY refund you must go to the NEW YORK STATE WEB SITE and retrieve your .
I operate two locations BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
I am taking appointments for the 2012 tax season (2011 returns) now. I can still do returns for refunds for 2009 and 2010. You cannot get refunds for 2008 or before, but the IRS can get you.
The first appointments started Start Jan 20, 2012 for 2011 returns.
Give your name, telephone number and when you can be reached at that number. Repeat your phone number. Some phones produce horrible voice quality. If I can't understand you, I can't call you back.
When I call you to set up an appointment I will ask you about your situation to estimate how long your appointment will take.
The average time to do a tax return (both state an Federal) is 45 min.
I have two locations:
1- St. Alban's Church ( Corner or Scott Ave and Meadowbrook Drive) near Nottingham HS (east side of Syracuse) Click Here for map to St. Alban's Here I can do returns all year.
||1:30 - 8:00 PM
||2:00 - 8:00 PM
2- Beauchamp Library (Corner of Colvin and Salina) south side of Syracuse Click Here for map to Beauchamp Library
This site is open only during the prime tax season Jan 24 - April 30
||9:00 - 2:00 PM
||4:00 - 7:30 PM
Bring with you
Partial check list :
- Must bring photo identification
- Social Security Cards for Everybody on your tax return. This includes newborns and parents living in Canada or Mexico if you want to claim them as a dependent.
- Birth Dates for everyone on the tax return
- Current years tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement (s) Form W-2 from all employers
- State tax refunds
- Gambling or lottery winnings and losses
- Unemployment Comp.
- Amount of Federal Rebate (ECONOMIC RECOVERY PAYMENT) you received or credited to you in 2010. Usually $250 for SSA recipients etc. This payment was sent only if you were eligible last year but did not get it for some reason.
- 1098 Mortgage interest payments - Real estate taxes Paid - Star Rebate amount
- Rent Paid (New York State home owners or renters credit (Total income must be less the $18,000 to qualify))
- 1099B If you sold stock and Proof of how much you paid for the stock when you bought it.
- A copy of last years Federal and State returns (if you itemized)
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- Total Paid for Day Care
- Day Care providers Identifying number (SSA or EIN)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms. It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number (SSN).
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing Separate tax return you Must have Social Security Number (SSN) of BOTH spouses. Also New York State requires knowledge of both spouses income.
The most accurate information is usually located on your original social security card. If you do not have a Social Security Number for you or a dependent you should complete , Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest .
If you or your dependent is not eligible to get a Social Security Number you may need an